In the ever-evolving landscape of cyber security, the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certification stands as a beacon of expertise and competence. With the increasing complexity of digital threats, obtaining the CISSP certification has become a significant goal for professionals in the field. To aid in your pursuit of this esteemed certification, we present a list of the best CISSP study guides for 2023, accompanied by a comprehensive CISSP study plan.
Best CISSP Study Guides for 2023:
- CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide, 9th Edition
Authors: Mike Chaplet, David Said, and James Michael Stewart
This official guide from (ISC)2, the organization behind the CISSP certification, is a trusted resource for preparing for the exam. It covers all eight domains of the CISSP Common Body of Knowledge (CBK) and includes practice questions and online resources.
- CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, Eighth Edition
Author: Shon Harris
Shon Harris’s All-in-One guides have been a staple for CISSP aspirants. This comprehensive resource covers the exam material in-depth and includes practice questions, real-world scenarios, and online access to additional resources.
- CISSP Practice Exams, Fifth Edition
Author: Shon Harris, Jonathan Ham
Another gem from Shon Harris, this book focuses solely on practice exams. It’s an excellent resource for testing your knowledge and familiarizing yourself with the exam’s format and difficulty.
- Eleventh Hour CISSP®: Study Guide, Third Edition
Author: Eric Conrad, Seth Mishear, and Joshua Feldman
If you’re short on time or looking for a concise review, this guide is perfect. It condenses the CISSP CBK into a manageable resource without sacrificing important information.
- CISSP for Dummies, Seventh Edition
Author: Lawrence C. Miller, Peter H. Gregory
The “For Dummies” series is known for making complex topics accessible. This guide breaks down CISSP concepts in an easy-to-understand manner, making it suitable for beginners.
CISSP Study Plan:
Preparing for the CISSP certification requires dedication, organization, and a structured study plan. Here’s a 12-week study plan to help you navigate the vast CISSP domains effectively:
Weeks 1-2: Domain 1 – Security and Risk Management
- Start with the foundational concepts of security and risk management.
- Read the corresponding chapters in your chosen study guide.
- Familiarize yourself with security governance, compliance, and risk assessment.
Weeks 3-4: Domain 2 – Asset Security
- Dive into asset security, including information classification and ownership.
- Study encryption, data retention, and secure disposal concepts.
- Take practice quizzes to reinforce your understanding.
Weeks 5-6: Domain 3 – Security Architecture and Engineering
- Focus on security architecture and engineering principles.
- Understand access controls, security models, and system architecture.
- Review different security frameworks and design principles.
Weeks 7-8: Domain 4 – Communication and Network Security
- Explore network security concepts, including protocols and secure network design.
- Study encryption methods, network access control, and network attacks.
- Engage in hands-on labs or simulations if available.
Weeks 9-10: Domain 5 – Identity and Access Management (IAM)
- Delve into IAM concepts, authentication, authorization, and identity management.
- Understand single sign-on (SSO), biometrics, and access control models.
- Review IAM implementation scenarios and technologies.
Weeks 11-12: Domain 6-8: Security Assessment and Testing, Security Operations, Software Development Security
- Allocate two weeks to each of these domains, as they cover diverse topics.
- Study various testing methodologies, security operations practices, and software development security principles.
- Take comprehensive practice exams to assess your overall readiness.
Final Days: Review and Practice
- Dedicate the final days to reviewing your study materials and notes.
- Focus on weak areas and practice questions you’ve struggled with.
- Ensure you understand the concepts rather than memorizing answers.
Exam Day: Stay Calm and Confident
- Get a good night’s sleep before the exam.
- Arrive at the testing center early.
- Read each question carefully, eliminate incorrect options, and choose the best answer.
Achieving the CISSP certification demands commitment, comprehensive study materials, and a well-structured study plan. The recommended CISSP study guides for 2023 provide the knowledge and practice you need to excel in the exam. By following a disciplined study plan, you can confidently navigate the domains of the CISSP CBK and position yourself for success in the dynamic field of cyber security. Remember, the CISSP certification not only validates your expertise but also opens doors to exciting career opportunities in the realm of information security.